Sunday, April 15, 2012

Gallery Visits : Drawing I

Drawing I students were asked to visit an art gallery of their choosing and write a short (1page) summary/analysis of their experience.  Here are some short excerpts from their papers:



Nathaniel Edwards on Henry Ossawa Tanner's The Banjo Lesson, 1893 at Hampton University Museum :

 
"The painting reminded me of my father, who has taught me many things."












Jennifer Armstrong on Robert Sites' paintings at the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art :

"In my opinion, the paintings were very busy with many different things going on, but they had good composition and balance.  his collection included clown figures and animals alongside flat abstract shapes and flat planes of color."










Lauren Tatro on Gustave Dore's The Neophyte (First Experience of the Monastery), 1866-1868 at the Chrysler Museum of Art :

"I believe many of us may possibly feel what this picture displays everyday."

"The Neophyte brings (depicts) human characteristics such as regret, contemplation, and longing to be free...."



Eternal Tango, 2004    


Sarah Jenkins on Gloria Coker's paintings at the Blue Skies Gallery in dowtown Hampton:

"In almost all of her dance paintings the woman is wearing a red dress.  I think the choice of red shows the passion that she has for this focus."












Jessie Walker on Alison Nicholls's watercolor Chillin at The Pennisula Fine Art Center :

"This painting held my attention for quite some time.  It is a partial arctic scene, but she incorporated warm colors in with the cool, which shed an unusual, delightful light."










 

No comments:

Post a Comment